What LDAP groups am I in?

Ever wonder what LDAP groups you’re a part of? There’s a super simple command that will tell you

net user ${windowsUsername} /domain

In my case

net user mrbusche /domain

Keep in mind this will run against your current domain on your computer, so if you’re a VPN user this may not work correctly if you’re computer domain is not your companies LDAP domain

ESPN FantasyCast broken in Chrome

Once again ESPN FantasyCast is broken in Chrome. If you’re using Chrome and are seeing the game score and stats on two separate lines. Hit F12 and copy the following into the Console and press enter

$('#real .progame').css('width', '101%')

This increases the container for the game by 1% and allows the page to be fully functional again.

Java Format date with 4, 5 or 6 milliseconds

The title of this is wrong as far as terminology, but that’s what I was googling when trying to figure out my issue, so hopefully someone is helped by my struggles. I had a date 2016-06-01 13:20:24.60807 that I was trying to format into mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss aa and the time was not accurate. I was using yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSSSSS as the format for SimpleDateFormat.

Date date = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSSSSS").parse(2019-06-01 13:20:24.60807); Was my exact Code and it kept outputting 06/01/2016 01:21:24 PM which was mostly accurate but not rounding up. I tried every variation of .* including just a dot and 1-6 S’s, but couldn’t get the value to work. The fewer S I tried the more off the result was. It wasn’t until I stumbled upon this StackOverflow question that I found out the issue. In Java 7 and below Date does not have enough precision to handle nanoseconds which is what the 4th, 5th and/or 6th digit after the period was, so rather than just truncating nano seconds it was adding 60,807 ms to my current time. Makes sense once you know the issue, but this data was coming from a stored proc and I could just truncate off the nanoseconds, so I ended up taking the left 23 characters of the current Date and then applying a pattern of “yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS” and then using DateUtils.round to get the correct result. The resulting code, absent my try/catches is below.

public static String parseDate(final String currentDateStr, String currentFormat, String expectedFormat) {
    String currentDate = StringUtils.left(currentDateStr, 23);
    Date date = DateUtils.round(date, Calendar.SECOND);
    return new SimpleDateFormat(expectedFormat).format(date);
parseDate(processDate, "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS", "MM/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss a");

Mocking session in a Spock test for a java class

Spock is an excellent test framework that is built on top of Groovy and can be used to replace JUnit for testing Java classes. The majority of spock syntax is simple, but sometimes we run into issues where it is difficult to mock a class. Session is one of those examples. Given we want to do something simple, say get the name from Spring Security in session we’d have a method call like this

private String getUserId() {
Authentication auth = SecurityContextHolder.getContext().getAuthentication();
return auth.getName();

To test this we need to mock session for this method and also for any method that calls this private method. To do so you need to mock the Authentication class and the SecurityContext class. Since this mocking is needed in multiple methods I’ve created a separate method in my spock class to mock the security context. The full test and method look like below

void "test getUserId"() {
def response = service.getUserId()
response == "hello"
def setSecurityContext() {
def authentication = Mock(Authentication)
authentication.getName() >> "hello"
def securityContext = Mock(SecurityContext)
securityContext.getAuthentication() >> authentication

Has anyone found an easier way to do this? Or is this the way it needs to be?

Fixing ESPN FantasyCast being broken in Chrome

This is the 2nd year in a row that ESPN has had a bug in their Fantasy Cast website so it does not render properly in Chrome. If your page looks like this, it’s broken. The good news is it’s easy to fix with a simple bookmarklet.



Simply create a bookmark with this as the url

javascript:(function(){$('#real .progame-list').css("width", "101%");})()

and click on it to fix the page. Once clicked the page will look like this, which is much more user friendly.


Creating a bookmarklet to log a user in

As someone who is continually logging into an internal website while writing code I knew there had to be a better way than entering my username and password 100 times a day. To complicate this I’m also alternating between users with different admin rights, access, etc and remembering multiple usernames and passwords can be tedious. The solution? Create a bookmarklet that fills out the elements on the screen and clicks the submit button. I wouldn’t recommend you use this for anything other than an internal only application, but if you want to store your password in plain text in your bookmarks that are probably synced between computers go right ahead :).

You’ll need to inspect the DOM and get the ID values of the username, password and form to make this work. What you do is set the dcoument into a variable get your element by the ID and set the value to your username. The same goes for the password. If you’re having trouble getting this to work make sure your input fields have ID and you have the case typed in correctly.

  var d=document;

Simple copy and paste the above code into the url field of a bookmark and you’ll be saving multiple seconds daily.